Sunday, May 23, 2010

Back from my hibernation

I am blogging after a long break. Meanwhile I have been experimenting with new recipes and improvising on some of the older ones.

I now marinate my meat(refer traditional mutton curry) with whipped curd, salt and turmeric powder and leave the marinade in the refrigerator for about 4/5 hours(thank you sis for that tip). The curd tends to tenderize the meat and gives the gravy a nice rich color. I skip the tomatoes.

Learnt a new mango based dip. Take a tbsp full of mango chutney( I used a home made one), add about 2 tbsp of thick curd/hung curd and a handful of mint leaves( we now grow mint in our little balcony garden and I just love the smell of fresh mint leaves). Blend it together and your dip is ready. The dip has a nice khatta-meetha taste( just cannot translate this bit into English, won't sound the same). Curd also gives it a nice texture( this recipe is courtesy my Momma). The dip has an unusual green color. I have served it alongside blanched veggies, also topped a few Monacco( this one will never go out of fashion despite fancier crackers being available today) biscuits with leftover alu paratha filling and then a dollop of the dip, yumm!

My morning routine now includes making milkshakes and yoghurt shakes for the kids. 1 cup of ripe chopped mangoes, a glass of chilled milk, a scoop of fig and honey ice-cream(vanilla would be the best with a neutral flavor but I am left with a big tub of fig and honey icecream- reusing leftovers), a dash of honey( if your kids like their shakes sweet or if the mango is not too sweet). Put it all in the mixie and run the mixie for 2/3 minutes. Served chilled garnished with chopped nuts( this bit just makes the recipe sound nicer, I usually skip this step).

With yoghurt I have tried mango lassi(nice), plan to try a fruit(banana, cherry, figs, mango), sesame seeds, flax seeds, honey, soya milk, vanilla icecream and yoghurt shake( watched it on Active cooking and it looked really nice- though I do feel you need way too many ingredients for this one but as a one dish drink/system retriever as the more evolved chefs would say it should do)

Had some leftover pineapple bits( after making pineapple and cheese), strung them together with olives on toothpicks and they tasted quite nice( or so said my polite friends).

Also made Kimchi by blanching cabbabge for about 30 seconds( just for that raw smell to go) and adding some Thai sweet chilli sauce to it. Serve chilled.

So it has really been a lot of assorted stuff that I have tried out in these last few weeks. Havesampled some amazing satay( Yo! China), chicken clay pot( again Yo! China; served minus the clay pot; the takeaway version is served in an ugly plastic container but tastes good nevertheless, has a lot of finely chopped vegetables), thandai(Haldiram), Choco lava cake( Dominoes), thin crust Pizza( again Dominoes) etc.

Bon apetite and happy cooking!

P.S: I also cooked some real easy Mediterranean chicken and Bhanga Besara( loosely translated broken fish in a mustard gravy). Shall post these shortly. Cheers!





1 comment:

  1. I use dahi for marinating meat..sp mutton when I make kosha mangsho...welcome back

    ReplyDelete