Friday, January 14, 2011

Et tu Brutus.....

"Et tu?" my foodie friend asks. Her tone clearly accusing me of betrayal. Yes, me too I answer.

Her surprise/dismay was on being told that I too had joined the group of weight watchers/health watchers who ate a light dinner. And that my dinner these days( on most weekdays) typically comprised of salads/stir fry/soup. She of course assumed that by doing so I was going to miss out on all the excitement/fun centered around food. And that I had resigned myself to a 'ghaas-phoos'(read tomato and cucumber salad) existence. She couldn't have been farther from the truth. Dinner times are actually getting better. I rummage through recipe books/blogs for interesting salad recipes. I reproduce leaner and easier to make versions of the same. The salads are different, interesting and the dressing is usually light. Even when I use mayonnaise I make it thinner by adding some milk to it. Lime juice, olive oil and oregano makes for a nice flavoring.

I seem to have misplaced my Tarla Dala book of soups and salads. In this books she provides alternate dressing for the same salad. There are a total of about fifteen types of dressing and you can mix n match( go beyond her recommended set) to make different salads. In some ways I am glad I cannot locate the book, it is helping me discover new salads/dressings each day.

The other inspiration for the title of this post is the salad below. The chicken version is more popular. What I like about it is the mix of ingredients and flavors. But then isn't that true about most salads.

Tuna Caeser's Salad

Ingredients

Tuna: About 400 grams of Tuna. Choose the regular one in brine
Lettuce: A bundle( four to five big leaves)
Onions: 1/2 chopped fine
Tomatoes: De- seed and chop fine( You can always add the pulp to another gravy dish)
Bread: Toast and then chop into small pieces to make the croutons
Mayonnaise: 2 tbsps
Olive Oil: 2 tbsps
Lime juice: 2 tbsps
Oregano seasoning: 1 tsp( I use the Roopak brand which comes mixed with carway seeds and other seasoning)
Parmesean Cheese(optional): 1/2 tsps of grated cheese

Method

Prepare a dressing of mayo, olive oil, lime juice and oregano. Toss in the tuna, onions, tomatoes and shredded lettuce. If using cheese add it at this stage. Add the bread croutons. Toss well.
Serve immediately.

This is a meal by itself. You could at best combine it with a clear soup.

Lettuce gives this salad a fresh, light feel and a crunchy taste. If using lettuce that has been stored in the refrigerator for a day, refresh in ice cold water to which a few drops of vinegar has been added.

You could also add some finely shredded cabbage and some boiled eggs to the salad.

"Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and dinner like a Pauper". Hope that works for me. Watch this space for more salad recipes. And as for my foodie friend hope I can get her to switch too.

Bon Apetit and Happy Cooking!


1 comment:

  1. One dish meals are my favourite...they save one so much trouble :) thinning the mayonnaise with milk is such a good idea...didn't know about it. feed an Oriya some Tuna and 'Dine like a pauper' will turn into 'Dine like a King' :)

    ReplyDelete